Antonio Banderas reveals he has coronavirus on 60th birthday
The actor has said he is celebrating in quarantine and otherwise relatively unaffected, other than being ‘a little bit more tired than usual’
The actor Antonio Banderas has confirmed on Twitter that he is suffering from coronavirus. In a message posted on 10 August, his 60th birthday, the actor said he was forced to celebrate in quarantine but reassured followers that his health was largely unaffected.
He wrote: “I would like to add that I am relatively OK, just a little more tired than usual and confident that I will recover as soon as possible following the medical indications, which I hope will allow me to overcome the infection that is affecting people around the planet.”
The actor added: “I will take advantage of this isolation to read, write and rest, and continue making plans to begin to give meaning to my newly released 60 years, to which I arrive loaded with desire and hope.
“Big hugs to everyone.”
It is not known where Banderas is currently based; the actor has a primary residence in Surrey, England, as well as homes in Spain and New York.
Born in Málaga, Banderas’s collaborations with Pedro Almodóvar made him a star in his native Spain; he then forged a considerable Hollywood career with films such as The Mask of Zorro, Philadelphia and Puss in Boots.
His most recent film with Almodóvar, Pain and Glory – a loosely autobiographical work in which he played a film director stricken with ennui – won much acclaim and an Oscar nomination for Banderas.
Other major film stars to be diagnosed with coronavirus include Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, as well as Idris Elba, Marianne Faithfull, Olga Kurylenko and Mel Gibson.
More than a hundred thousand Californians have bought a gun since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, a new report has found, in a surge of gun sales that has experts worried about the risk of suicide and deadly instances of domestic violence.
Donald Trump has once again attacked his top public health expert, using a call with campaign staff on Monday to deride Anthony Fauci as “a disaster” and to claim “people are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots” discuss ways to combat the coronavirus.
Harold "Heshy" Tischler, a high-profile Orthodox Jewish activist, was arrested Sunday night on charges related to inciting a riot and assaulting a journalist. "The New York City Police Department Warrant Squad has taken Harold 'Heshy' Tischler into custody. He will be charged with inciting to riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with an assault of a journalist that took place on October 7, 2020 in Brooklyn," the NYPD said on Twitter. Jacob Kornbluh, a reporter for Jewish Insider, said that he was "brutally assaulted" on Wednesday after Tischler recognized him.
President Trump is taking a big risk by scuttling next week’s presidential debate against Democratic nominee Joe Biden, leaving the president with fewer opportunities to change the trajectory of a race that has moved swiftly against him. Trump is furious at the Commission on Presidential Debates for unilaterally deciding next week’s event would be virtual, rather than in-person, due to concerns about the coronavirus after the president’s diagnosis last week. Trump and his campaign believe that Biden would wilt under the pressure of a live, high-stakes event and believe the shift to a virtual event is bailing him out.