Grammy awards postponed weeks before ceremony over Covid concerns
The 2021 Grammy awards will be postponed after a steady increase in Covid-19 cases in California.
The ceremony was scheduled to take place on 31 January hosted by Trevor Noah and while a new date has yet to be confirmed, sources suggest that it could be pushed back until March. A limited show had already been planned without an audience and only performers and presenters allowed on stage with nominees accepting awards remotely.
The Grammys typically attracts an in-person audience of over 18,000 and, in recent years, has mostly been held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The Grammys chief, Harvey Mason Jr, had said this year’s plan would be to hold the event “in and around downtown Los Angeles” but the city has continued to see a sustained surge in cases.
The news comes a week after the Los Angeles county department of public health urged the entertainment industry to be cautious with nearly half of LA county’s total cases to date reported in the last month. An increased strain on services has led to oxygen being rationed and ambulances advised not to transfer patients who have no chance of survival.
Numerous film productions have now decided to take a pause while certain shows that had returned to the studio, such as The Late Late Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live!, have now gone back to remote shooting.
This month would have also traditionally have seen the Golden Globes, which have this year been pushed back to the end of February while the Oscars have moved from early March to late April.
This year’s Grammy nominations are led by Beyoncé with nine.
Wednesday, pro-Trump rioters stormed into the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. Prior to that, many in that crowd attended a rally put on by the president and stood around outside the Capitol. Many videos and photos of the people at the Capitol have surfaced, often showing people without masks or face coverings and standing in close proximity to others who were also maskless. Some health experts think this riot could be a superspreader event for COVID-19.
Under pressure to contain an avalanche of falsehoods, Facebook announced on 3 December that it would ban debunked claims about the safety and efficacy of vaccines now being distributed worldwide. The company said it removed more than 12m pieces of content from Facebook and Instagram between March and October, and that it worked with factcheckers to place labels on 167 million more pieces of content over the same period.
“Harry Potter” actress Jessie Cave posted a photo Tuesday of her 3-month-old son in the hospital, saying he tested positive for COVID-19.
A Wisconsin pharmacist convinced the world was “crashing down” told police he tried to ruin hundreds of doses of coronavirus vaccine, because he believed the shots would mutate people’s DNA, according to court documents released now.