Prince Philip

“No one is relaxing just yet”

There remains concern, however, that the media circus around Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview will upset him

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip

.media
MEDIA PRESS GROUP

Prince Philip has been transferred to the Edward VII hospital following a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace announced Friday. The 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh is said to be comfortable, but he is expected to stay in hospital for a number of days, possibly weeks, until he makes a full recovery.

Philip was taken from the smaller private Edward VII hospital in central London to St. Bart’s on Tuesday so that his infection and a pre-existing heart condition could be monitored. Yesterday Buckingham Palace said the “Iron Duke” had undergone a successful procedure, believed to be surgery, on Wednesday.

The Queen, who is being kept abreast of the Duke’s condition and is speaking regularly to her husband, will be relieved that he is back at the Edward VII, a hospital he knows well. The fact that doctors agreed to transfer him back there from St. Bart’s, which specializes in coronary care, suggests the Duke’s condition is stable and not life threatening.

“It’s been a very worrying time of course, this is a 99 year old man who has been in hospital for three weeks and undergone an operation,” a source told Vanity Fair.

“No one is relaxing just yet but the news he has been transferred is more positive.”

Buckingham Palace have not given details about the surgery the Duke underwent, nor are they giving details about his medical condition which is a private matter. But in an unusual move they confirmed that the Duke is being treated for an infection and required treatment for a pre-existing heart condition.

In 2011 Prince Philip had a stent fitted for a blocked coronary artery, which up until now has not caused him any major problems.

Given that Philip is 14 weeks shy of his 100th birthday, he will be under strict order to rest.

But there remains concern that the media circus around Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s forthcoming interview with Oprah Winfrey could be upsetting to the Duke.

“He will hate the idea that the Royal Family is being turned into a soap opera, let’s hope Philip hasn’t been reading too much of what is being said in the newspapers.”

The Duke will no doubt have seen the television news headlines and be aware of the forthcoming interview and what Meghan has already said in promotional clips about the Royal Family.

CBS released a third trailer Friday morning in which Meghan said she felt “liberated” since standing down as a working royal. In another clip released earlier this week she told how she would no longer be silenced by “The Firm,” Prince Philip’s name for the Royal Family.

Up until his hospital admission last month Philip was closely involved in family matters and was being consulted by the Queen over the decision to strip Harry and Meghan of their royal patronages following the couple’s choice to stand down as working royals.

According to Robert Jobson, the Duke’s biographer, the Queen would have told him about the announcement and the Sussexes’ subsequent response, in which they made clear they plan to dedicate their lives to service regardless of their position in the Royal Family.

Read more

The Queen wipes away a tear as she sits alone at Prince Philip's funeral

Queen Elizabeth II, wearing a black face mask and seated alone, said goodbye to her husband of more than 73 years, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, at his funeral on Saturday at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle. The ceremony for Prince Philip, who died last week at age 99, was highly unusual — in part because coronavirus restrictions meant that it had to be scaled back, but also because it followed a very public airing of a family rift. Members of the royal family — Philip’s four children and some of his grandchildren — walked in a somber procession behind his coffin.

William and Harry to walk apart as Queen sits alone at funeral

The Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex will walk apart for their grandfather’s funeral, which is likely to see the Queen sitting alone, details released by Buckingham Palace reveal. Prince William and Prince Harry, whose troubled relationship was further strained after the Sussexes’ controversial interview with Oprah Winfrey, will be separated by their cousin Peter Phillips as they walk behind the coffin of the Duke of Edinburgh on Saturday.

Buckingham Palace has announced the death of the Queen’s husband of 73 years

A statement from Buckingham Palace on Friday said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.” He was the longest serving consort in British history, and was only months away from his 100th birthday in June.

Sharon Osbourne leaves TV show after row about Meghan and Piers Morgan

Sharon Osbourne has left US chat show The Talk following an on-air row over Piers Morgan’s comments about the Duchess of Sussex, CBS said. Osbourne clashed with her co-hosts while defending Morgan, who left his job on Good Morning Britain following his comments about Meghan. The Talk is off air while CBS investigates the incident.